Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Fixing and Final touches


Final time working on the sound of the movie and I knew the specific things that needed to be fixed, removed or kept. The one thing I did for the entire thing was lowered its volume. This time I made sure to check in different devices how it sounded.

The rock part of the film got the least critiques so that stayed  and wasn't edited too much. I did a lot of volume changing in dividual clips to make transitions smoother. Specially where the  sound effect of the chess piece being put down plays. It took me a lot of time  finding a balance between the sound effect and the music. The transition between the sound effect playing and then not was very difficult. In the end i also decided to take off the sound from Bear Mcreary's "God of war:ragnorok" i liked the cleaner sound effect without the top layer. Though I add the same sound over some parts to add extra depth.

In general for all the transitions I ended cutting the sound clips into tiny parts and then lowering or raising the volume in increments. There might have been a better way to do them but I liked how much control it gave me over the clips.

After I finished the 2nd half, it was time to pay attention to the other part. The first part of the film had a lot of problems, it needed to be completely replaced. Finding music that match took me so long. It felt like most of the music was too preppy or too melancholic. In the end, I decided to show the director 3 different versions with three different songs in the beginning. In hopes that either one would be chosen or i would be given an idea on another song. The director ended up like the flute song from Barbie in the twelve dancing princesses. While the copyright free happy violin music and the accordion song Flambee Montalbanaise were rejected.

This is flambee Montalbanaise, I liked this song as it added rustic feeling our film and the song has an important history with another chess film.

This is the copy right free violin music that I felt like fit most to our film
This is theme of Barbie in the 12 dancing princesses that was chosen.I really liked how delicate and whimsical this tune is.

With that done the rest went smooth, I only needed to do finishing touches like adding the normal chess pieces sounds, and American robin sounds.

This what my timeline looked at the end


Relying on my group together ideas and opinion really helped me finish this in time. I was stuck at that part and I didn't know what to do, I had worked on the sound long enough that things were starting to meld together. But once I asked for a new perspective things became easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment