Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Reference cut

A Reference

The day our editor finished the film, I wasn't there  at school to get it airdropped, which was the best way  for us to get a good quality version of the film, so I got sent the film through messeges. This caused the quality to really go down but  this version of the film didn't need to be the highest resolution for me to work on the sound. I just needed a version closest to the final cut so i could make a rough sound edit of the film.

The plan was that in class Friday we were going to have a day that we could share our films for feedback. Our group really wanted to have sound in the film by then so we could get feedback on every part of the movie. For this to happened we were going to have to show the lesser quality version that i was working on. So my deadline was very strict.

Before I started working on the edit, I showed my team my list, and also made them listens to some of the songs. The director and I talked a bit about other music selections, including using 80 rock bands. I didn't end up using them because of time constraint in the first rough draft. We agreed specifically that Riot Music Team's "Gwen the hallowed mistress" was too dark and dramatic. With in mind the sound design statement, the song didn't give good enough of a contrast.

Edit

when it came to actually editing, I ended up using a combinations of songs that felt like matched.


I used two songs composed by Dario Marianelli From the Pride and Prejudice 2005 adaptation. I used the first 15 seconds of Marianelli:Meryton Townhall for the beginning of our film . I liked how rumbustious and happy the song sounded. Its a very contrasting tone to the rock and roll. Though it also feels a bit too contrasting to what's happening on screen.

The second one was Marianelli:Dawn which  I used at the very end, for the contrasting serene piano to add the comedic ending.

Odyssey-rock Suite-Pt2 was the rock song that i used in 17  to 50 seconds of the film. But this song was tricky as I did a lot of cuts, so it would fit better  with the film. The main reason i use this song was the very harsh guitar distortion. I liked the idea of guitar becoming distorted same time the film fidelity too becomes distorted. Another reason was that cause it such a rhythm heavy song, it uses a lot of patterns this made it  easier to match with the actions in the screen.
This was my edited version that matched the film. I cut out the middle part were more instruments come in as the part with the drums worked better to make it feel more like a duel. That part  also connected easier to Marianelli:dawn.


For the over the top sound of the chess pieces, I did a combination of Bear MCreary's "God of War:Ragnorok" and Michael Giacchino's  "Highway to The Anger Zone" from The Batman 2022 .I wanted the sound of the chess pieces to have a very low fidelity in this part to exaggerate the action. I wasn't sure about the God of War:Ragnarok choir that I added on top. It felt like the sound became muddle and there wasn't the big oomph when the chess pieces hit.



No comments:

Post a Comment