Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Sound selection

The List

 Before getting a cut of the edited film, I started looking into possible music and sounds that I could use. I could not do a lot with a unedited version of the film but I wanted to get started to prepare for when I got a better version from the editor. So  I made a list on the notepad app with all the titles of the songs,  descriptions of my thought process in choosing them, and specific times in the songs  that had the sounds I wanted.




Overall most of the music of this list comes from soundtrack of  videogames and movies. Our film is very dramatic and what is happening on screen is very eye catching with its absurdity. I wanted the music to enhance the drama of the film, while also not being distracting. So I veered more to soundtracks than anything else.

Creation of the list

Things I kept in mind while making the list

  • The sound design statement in our portfolio,
  • The script's audio description, 
  • The opinion of the rest of the team 
  • If it matches what we had recorded
Making this lists was a lesson in choosing how close should I stay to the original vision of the production portfolio and at the same time making sure it fit the actual film. The creative vision of the film was originally very different from the product we ended with. In practice a lot of the  shots were cut and things were moved to make a better product that fell under our time constraint. This meant that audio ques and specific music in general had to be cut.

This shot was cut because of time constraints, and it was supposed to be a transition shot between classical music, choir music and rock. It allowed for more time to smoothly transition such contrasting genre, without this it meant that while making the list I had to keep in mind the fact this was going to be were the musical transitioned happened

for my selection I did not think too much about how close the script was, it ended up being more of a guidline. But I did specifically keep in mind a specific part of the sound design statement.

"Our film is a comedy that dramatizes such a simple game of chess to the point that it becomes unrealistic. We wished to have a tense dramatic tone to contrast with the mundane actions being shown. Our sound aesthetic follows this principle as it was decided to have lilting music of soft classical violin contrasted with heroic thunderous music, like a superhero theme."

No matter the changes that ended up happening, our film was always based around the ideas of this paragraph. And I knew that it was imperative that my list kept to this idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment