Sunday, February 25, 2024

Portfolio Work Day 3: Cinematography

I knew for a fact based on my genre statement that I wanted the cinematography to be slow, static and have uncomfortable angles.


A shot that I wanted to be a constant was a wide shot that showed three walls surrounding the character. This shot would be far away for the character. It is a good establishing shot, that also separates the audience from the character, adding more to the isolation the character experiences. This shot was repeated multiple times as it was recurring, and it had a parallel at the end of the introduction when she had to go and open the door.


I plan to use a lot of close ups with Dutch angle to make the audience feel uncomfortable while watching the film


Some of the shots I plan to use are ones I have not ever done, and they are more advanced. But i chose them as they fit want, I wanted to convey with my film.


A Dutch angle usually represent something going out of sync it also shows the character getting interrupted, and a dolly zoom creates a sense of unease to the viewer. The combination of these two will depict the concern and confusion of the character. I worry about continuing to study, and I will need practice beforehand.


The hardest shot will be shot 19 as it involves a movement that's quite difficult.AN horizontal arc which means that the charact will circle the main character. The purpose of an arc shot is to be a transition, centralize the focus of an audience and create dynamic shots without having the character moving. For my intended purpose it's a combination of the three, as the transition will happen when a sudden stop happens which causes the tensest part of the introduction. After multiple shots of the painting, I plan to use the arc shot to put focus on the character enjoying the painting process and then getting interrupted. The arch shot adds a lot of movement to the character and while the character in my film enjoys herself, she is less rigid, moving more fluidly and the cinematography should show the difference between her two forms.
The wide shot which will be a constant

The arc shot is the one I am most worried about, and I will def must practice and research how to do it. It is an overly complicated one, but it would add so much to the movie if I could figure it out.


A lot of my shots aren't too difficult or anything special, but there are some there that are very difficult, especially me as an amateur film maker. But just because they are difficult doesn't mean that it will stop me. I will persevere and learn how to do them because without these interesting unique shots, a lot of personality of my film would be taken off. Difficulty won't stop me from achieving my vision.
This video helped me seeing how I would want my own arc shot in my film

No comments:

Post a Comment