Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Depth of Field in Cinematography

 

A still from Knives out, November 27, 2019 that uses a deep depth of field for character.
A still from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,March 30, 1990 that uses shallow depth of field to convey conflict.
A still from Pride and Prejudice, November 11, 2005 that uses soft depth of field to convey conflict,


A still showing a deep depth of field to show conflict.


A still using a shallow depth of field to show conflict.


A still using a soft depth of field to show development.

This blog wasn’t as difficult as I thought it would be though I did have to be creative in some parts. I had no idea how I was going to do the different focuses with my phone. maybe there was an option for cameras that I didn’t see and would have done the job much better. but I knew about the new cinematography mode of the iPhone, and I decided to take screenshots of videos done with the mode. It worked good enough, but my shaky hand made it hard to control the blurriness of photos. It was very finicky on its focus so a lot of it felt out of my control. I just had to let the camera do its thing while hoping that I could get a good shot. I had a lot of fun posing my photos this time. I got the idea of giving it a small story that went with the depth of field requirements. The first one was a deep depth of field, and I thought that the best way to demonstrate it was to have all the characters in focus. The shallow focus was used to demonstrate the disarray and chaos of the scene. And finally, a soft depth of field to show the bloody result in a similar way to how some shows censor their violence. I had big difficulty finding a soft field of depth from existing media. I knew that I had seen it somewhere, but I couldn’t figure out where so I spent a long time looking for a still.



No comments:

Post a Comment