Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Procreate Dreams





 

To animate I decided to use Procreate Dreams, an iPad app which is based on Procreate a drawing app but instead, it focuses on animation. I have used Procreate for 5 years so my point of reference for this app will be Procreate.
 Procreate Dream is created for fans of normal Procreate and people who want a simpler animation app.

When it comes to drawing, its interface is very similar to procreate. Like its sister app on the top right, there is a color picker, layer selector, eraser, and blending icons. Tapping them opens several settings with different brush sections.

Procreate sample animation timeline, made by Seoro Oh

Unlike Procreate the bottom half is new which is the animation section, there is a timeline where video, audio, and 2d animation can be added with frames. Its process of adding frames and timeline is simple as it's done by just drawing on top of the selected area.

Procreate no clipping mask layer

Clipping mask Layer

Alpha lock layer
This app is more approachable than Adobe animates, with its one-time payment of 20 dollars and its simplicity making it easier for anyone to pick it up. That is one of the reasons why I chose procreate dreams, it was the most affordable option that was also good and simple. I already had the necessary hardware for it as it's made for iPad and Apple pencil combinations.

Its simplicity has drawbacks for example there is a limit in clip length which can be constricting, when it comes to this project it won't be a hassle but if I had to long term fully animate something that was two minutes, it would be a big inconvenience. The simplicity also makes options limited for example there are no alpha lock layers. This feature allows for anything drawn on the layer to be locked into space. A way to get around this feature not being here is by using a clip mask, but it adds a layer, and it doesn’t lock the layer it just makes that whatever is drawn on the top layer will only show up where the bottom layer is drawn on, but the drawing is still there.

Procreate Dream is not a perfect program, but it fulfills the needs of my film, that’s what matters, I wished that something would be better, and it would cause me to change my strategy on how I will animate on my film but it won't stop me. I just must be adaptable.


No comments:

Post a Comment