Saturday, March 9, 2024

The hardest shot







In the last blog I said that the hardest shot of the film was shot 7, a Dutch angle dolly zoom.As a new filmmaker, this shot was ambitious as it had movement from becoming not straight and at the same time using dolly zoom to pullout and yet zooming in. So, from the beginning, it was going to be a difficult shot no matter what. But there were problems I didn’t think of that ended up influencing how the shot would look in the film. For some reason, the Dutch angle movement kept on almost moving too early than intended by the camera.



In the last blog, I showed this clip, but without knowing there is not a lot that stands out, But I wasn’t moving the camera for half of this clip. I only moved the camera when the sudden quick movement came in yet the camera slowly moved into position. It was almost like it had to prepare. This happened with every shot no matter what I did.


So now it was time for a creative problem solution, I started experiment seeing if there was a certain movement that would not cause this until I got to this movement. Which I liked, still did the disorienting feeling that the Dutch angle would have done, and it didn’t do the weird slowly turning thing.

The pain with this shot didn’t end there as I switched from one difficulty to another. This type of movement made it so that we needed to follow the paintbrush with the camera. Making timing very important and necessary. This meant that I had a lot of practice footage with the same movement repeatedly.

Even worse this shot included the character doing something that was not easy to clean up and set again. It includes the character messing up the painting with black paint, which if messed up meant an extra 30 minutes of wait time to do it again because I had to cover the black mark with more paint. By the end of taking this shot the cloud section around the area was protruding out as it was covered with so many layers of paint. It’s also a shot that affected the rest of the film so it was necessary to do this first and then do the rest. Which slowed production down.

I would like to say that all this effort was worth it and I was able to get the perfect shot and it looked amazing but I wasn’t. Time restraints and needing to continue made me decide that though the idea of the shot was cool, and it could be good, it’s not something I'm capable of now. And so all that works for just a normal shot. And this was the result.


It’s a bit sad, as I put so much effort into trying to get this shot done but I lost sight of things. I should have realized the lost cause; it was not worth putting back production for this one shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment