Thursday, March 14, 2024

First editing session


During my first editing section, I had a goal of selecting the best takes, getting a very rough cut, and at least a small bit of animation. I was worried about the time it would take from getting the film off my phone to the computer to then my iPad for animation. I hoped that I could cloud service like Adobe Premier Rush which is where I filmed but it didn’t work. Instead, I had to figure out a quick process that worked best for me in selecting clips. As I took a lot of shots transferring all of them to the computer was difficult



Media Pool feature Davinci Resolve


The final process was that my clips were on my phone, and I separated them by using the album feature of the iPhone. Two albums one of good shots and one of bad shots. The Good Shot album got uploaded onto Google Drive and I put it into Davinci Resolve. Davinci Resolve has a media pool feature that holds all the clips to put into the timeline or take them out when I want to. This way I was able to select the best takes and start cutting up clips. through this I put all the clips together to see how it worked, it was rough, and it was just a test, on my first try I decided to edit the first 30 seconds as it had also a small bit of animation in there.

Time line of the rough draft


As stated previously in my animation software blog I used Procreate Dreams, and in my learning about animation, and live mix animation I showed that I had practiced on it. However it is still a very new program to me, and it was a slow process to animate that small section, especially with the restriction of the clip length of the program.


I wasn’t happy with the animation, I felt like it was too overpowering, and yet the accidental stroke was lost. I needed that to be the main attention but the animation that happened surrounding it took too much attention away from it which is something I'll fix in the next editing session.



Rough draft with noncut clip

Rough draft with cut clip

I also created two versions of the rough draft, the difference between the two was that in one I hadn't cut out the pullout of her putting paint in the brush and going to pain while the camera moved away. I really wanted that shot to work but it was too slow and not angled correctly. Yet I couldn’t fix it as I realized too late that the painting had already been altered. So the cutting felt like the best move, yet I still wanted to see it.


The first editing session was one of learning and experimenting. Finding how things worked and what I liked was important. This first pass of the edit and animation made me realize that I didn’t like the animation I was doing which is better to realize that now than to be halfway through the 2 minutes, I realized that some shots had to be redone as I swift through the various shots I took. I'm not happy with it but it made me realize why I’m not happy and I already have some ways to fix those reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment