Sunday, March 31, 2024

The art of foley

The original plan for the sound of the film was to have music but with the change of plans in my last post, I had to do a lot of post recording of sounds.A more practical reason for the music use in the film was because the environment too loud  and difficult to get a quiet take without other people talking or animal sounds.

To record the sounds I used Razer Kraken gaming headphones that had a microphone and the audacity.This way I didn’t have to transfer the sound into my computer from my phone.

Some of the sounds I created were more specific than others. For the intrusive thoughts and animations i did voice acting for whispers,and screeches. I scratched my nails on the canvas to add more distortions to the these screeches.A sound that was difficult and took multiple times to do was the brush stroke sounds.The difficulty came from integrating the sounds in the film.The timing was very difficult to do and multiple times I had to redo the sounds because they didn’t match the film.

An important sound that I did was record the ambient noise of the environment I filmed.This was easily done by filming the room when it was quiet.This gave me a base level and caused the film to sound more real.


This has the brush stroke sounds and the ambience sounds.


I also recorded the sound of the character tripping back in this scene. I did this by doing the same actions the actress did in the same type of flooring except with the microphone on the floor.This is one of the sounds that best matches the actions of the film.





Doing foley was a learning experience with a lot of trials and error. On the brush strokes alone i took at least 30 takes.So many takes were because I messed up the timing or I hit the microphone and more.By the end of recording the sounds for the tripping, I myself had tripped multiple times.So I really had to persevere through the mistakes to get the perfect takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment